Temporary Residence – Spouse of a Costa Rican Citizen

You can get your Temporary residence in Costa Rica through a marriage with a spouse of a Costa Rican citizen. If you would like to get married, we can help you with the ceremony. The process is fast. All you need is the presence of 2 witnesses at the ceremony and a lawyer to register the marriage in the National Registry of Costa Rica, which issues an official marriage certificate after the ceremony. Civil marriages legally performed in Costa Rica are valid worldwide.

if you live in Costa Rica and need the following documents, JAROS offers you service of processing and obtaining them at the additional cost:

  • FBI Background Check & Apostille ($550 USD)
  • Birth Certificate & Apostille ($450 USD)

JAROS Costa Rica Immigration Experts:
offers you the local service of processing and bringing the required documentation.

Click here for more information about the Apostille Convention and check if your home country is a party to it — notable exceptions include Canada and China.

What do you need to get your Residency as a Spouse of a Costa Rican citizen?

Documents :
  • Criminal background check.
  • Birth Certificate.
  • Marriage certificate.
  • Application form and cover letter (we will complete it for you).
  • Fingerprints (we help you with the appointment and the form).
  • Consular Registration.
  • Eight passport-size photographs.
Requirements :
  • You must provide Photos of the validity of the marriage (photos of the wedding and other events, etc.);
  • Must be in Costa Rica at least 1 day a year.
Specifications :


  • Temporary residence for spouse of a Costa Rican citizen – valid for 1 year, renewable.
  • You can apply for permanent residence without conditions after 3 years.
  • You can work as an employee or freelancer.
  • You can own a business and receive dividends.

Note: All the documents should be apostilled in your country of origin (if your home country is not part of the Apostille Convention, the documents should be authenticated or legalized in the Embassy of Costa Rica in your country of origin).

Cost of the Process:

$1500 (Holder) $500 (Child dependent)
Government fees and other expenses associated with your residency are not included.
The Government fees and other expenses associated with your residency are not included.

In addition to our service fees, please note that there will be government fees and . some additional expenses (such as Spanish translations, immigration appointments, local fingerprint appointment appointments to the yellow house, ID card – DIMEX, and security deposit (refundable), CASH register).

- Taxes are not included in the price.
- All prices are subject to change without notice.


You have 90 days to submit all required documents to Immigration (DGME) once your file is opened. Let's say a residency applicant has difficulty obtaining documents within the allotted 90-day period, and we can help. In this case, JAROS can request 1 extension of time to submit the documents (with a cost of $100 USD per time extension request).

If you would like to get your residency as Spouse of a Costa Rican Citizen, CONTACT US.