Temporary Residence Spouse of a Costa Rican Citizen

Are you thinking of getting a remporary Residency Spouse of a Costa Rican Citizen?

Residency by marriage in Costa Rica is a procedure by which a foreign person can obtain a residency permit in Costa Rica through marriage to a Costa Rican citizen. This type of residency usually requires the presentation of certain documents and the fulfillment of specific requirements.

You may obtain a temporary residency in Costa Rica by marrying a Costa Rican citizen. All you need is the presence of 2 witnesses at the ceremony and a lawyer to register the marriage at the Costa Rican National Registry, which will issue an official marriage certificate after the celebration. If you wish to get married, we can help you with the celebration. The procedure is quick.

Civil marriages legally celebrated in Costa Rica are valid worldwide.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

What do you need to get your Residency as a Spouse of a Costa Rican citizen?


  • All the documents should be apostilled in your country of origin (if your home country is not part of the Apostille Convention, the documents should be authenticated or legalized in the Embassy of Costa Rica in your country of origin).

Cost of the Process:

$1700 (Primary applicant) | $1000 (Spouse) | $800 (Dependent)

The Government and other expenses associated with your residency are not included.

In addition to our service fees, it is essential to take into consideration that there will be governmental charges and some extra costs. These include costs for Spanish translations of documents in another language, obtaining an appointment for immigration procedures, local appointments for fingerprinting and appointments for Casa Amarilla.

JAROS Costa Rica Immigation Experts: offers you the local service of processing and bringing the required documentation.

So now you have your Residency in Costa Rica! Remember, that after a certain period of time you will need to proceed with your Residency Renewal.

Click here for more information about the Apostille Convention and check if your home country is a party to it — notable exceptions include Canada and China.