Costa Rica Residency for Retirees
Are you thinking of getting a residency for retirees in Costa Rica, to enjoy your pension?
Do you (or your spouse) have a lifetime monthly pension of $1,000 USD?
You will find that the Pensionado category is a very good option. The pension must be a lifetime pension. In addition, pensioners do not pay taxes on income from outside Costa Rica. Once you obtain your residence for pensionado, you can enjoy all the benefits granted by being a Costa Rican citizen such as Social Security and Public Health (CCSS or Caja), which covers pre-existing conditions.
If you are married and have children, then your wife and child may be dependent. When you get residency, you will need to renew your status every 2 years and prove that you were in CR one day a year. A temporary resident can apply for permanent residence after 8 years. In fact, with permanent or temporary residency, you can enjoy all the rights of a Costa Rican citizen, except that you cannot vote.
What do you need to get your Residency for Retirees in Costa Rica?
- You obtain a Temporary Residency: valid for 2 years, renewable.
- You can apply for permanent residency without conditions after 3 years.
- You can claim spouse and dependents.
- You can own a company and receive dividends.
- You can obtain the C.C.S.S. (Costa Rican Social Security Fund).
- Proof of $1000 USD per month income from permanent pension source or retirement fund.
- Must be in Costa Rica at least 1 day per year.
- Proof of pension.
- Criminal background check from your home country.
- Birth certificate.
6. Marriage certificate (if applicable).
7. Application form (we will complete it for you).
8. Fingerprints for C.R.
9. Consular Registration.
10. Eight passport size photographs.
- All the documents should be apostilled in your country of origin (if your home country is not part of the Apostille Convention, the documents should be authenticated or legalized in the Embassy of Costa Rica in your country of origin).
Cost of the Process:
if you live in Costa Rica and need the following documents, JAROS offers you service of processing and obtaining them at the additional cost:
* FBI Background Check & Apostille ($550 USD)
* Birth Certificate & Apostille ($450 USD)