Costa Rica Temporary Residence – Rentista

If you want to obtain your temporary residence in Costa Rica in the category of Rentista, the concept is that you demonstrate that you will be a productive member of society by making a financial commitment.

How does it work? First, you have to open a local bank account in CR with $ 60,000 USD (we help you with this process). Then each month $2,500 USD of this $60,000 USD will be available for you to withdraw and it is your choice: withdraw it and spend it or keep it available for when you renew your residency after 2 years. But remember: you will need to prove that you have $60,000 USD again after 2 years. If you don't use this $2,500 USD as your main source of income each month, you'll have the same $60,000 USD at the end of the 2-year term to use again. After renewing the residency to permanent you will not have to prove more than that you have $ 60000 USD in the Bank.

What do you need to get Residency as Rentista in Costa Rica?


  • All the documents should be apostilled in your country of origin (if your home country is not part of the Apostille Convention, the documents should be authenticated or legalized in the Embassy of Costa Rica in your country of origin).

Cost of the Process:

$1800 (Primary applicant) | $1000 (Spouse) | $800 (Dependent)

The Government and other expenses associated with your residency are not included.

In addition to our service fees, it is essential to take into consideration that there will be governmental charges and some extra costs. These include costs for Spanish translations of documents in another language, obtaining an appointment for immigration procedures, local appointments for fingerprinting and appointments for Casa Amarilla.

JAROS Costa Rica Immigation Experts: offers you the local service of processing and bringing the required documentation.

So now you have your Residency in Costa Rica! Remember, that after a certain period of time you will need to proceed with your Residency Renewal.

Click here for more information about the Apostille Convention and check if your home country is a party to it — notable exceptions include Canada and China.