We have news for Digital Nomads! On July 4, 2022, the President of Costa Rica, Rodrigo Chaves, signed the implementing regulation (Law 10.008), which is believed to be key to the recovery of tourism from the pandemic in Costa Rica.
You want to live in Costa Rica as Digital Nomads while working remotely. You and your family can get the benefit of a visa. With a longer stay in the country.
What kind of jobs are possible for a digital nomads visa in Costa Rica?
- Digital marketing;
- Graphic design;
- Content creators;
- Editing skills;
- Creative skills;
- Organization and planning;
- Architecture-related skills, etc.
Digital nomad visa
Ifyou are ready to make Costa Rica your home and work remotely by now you have the opportunity to apply for a “Digital Nomad Visa” for non-residents, which includes a spouse and children under the age of 25.
Remote workers will be able to obtain a visa that can be extended if the applicant spends at least 180 days in the country during the first year. The good news is that they will be allowed to open local bank accounts, and they will also not be subject to local income taxes, because they are not making money within Costa Rica.
Among other advantages, that are mentioned in the new law are
- you will be able to drive in Costa Rica using your home country’s driver’s license as long as your digital nomad status is active (article 19);
- this visa includes exemption of import taxes for the importation of computers and other technical equipment needed to perform the digital nomad visa holder’s job, as well as on up to 2 land, sea, or air vehicles. Those vehicles can be for the use of the visa holder, their partner, or dependents.
These benefits are subject to the upcoming regulations that the government of Costa Rica implements, by the respective government departments.
What are the requirements to become a digital nomad in Costa Rica?
- Original bank statements, along with a signed affidavit, need to be presented as proof of a consistent monthly salary, fixed income of a minimum $3,000 USD or more in the previous year. If the applicant wants to apply for benefits for their entire family, their income can be pooled with that of a spouse or other family member and must total at least $4,000 USD.
- Get medical insurance that covers the applicant for the duration of their stay in Costa Rica for a coverage of $50,000 USD.
- Pay a government fee to apply for a non-resident visa as a Worker or Remote Service Provider.
Note: You cannot compete with residents for jobs. This means that you cannot work for a Costa Rican company. You must work for a company outside of Costa Rica.
Remember the Digital Nomad doesn’t fall under the Residency category. So if you are granted this visa, you won’t be able to switch to Temporary Residency or Permanent Residency status later