Foreign tourists authorized to enter and remain in Costa Rica for a period of less than ninety days, may request an extension.
1. Interested foreign tourists must submit a request indicating the reasons why they intent to extend their stay in Costa Rica, provide their contact information, and provide their exact address.
2. Payment of ¢ 125 colones for a tax stamp, and an additional ¢ 2.50 colones for each page of documentation needed, based on the Law for the Financial Balance of the Public Sector.
3. Certified copies of all pages of your valid passport, or a copy of all pages of your valid passport and the original passport to be verified by immigration officials.
4. Two recent passport size photographs.
5. Demonstration of economic solvency in accordance with the provisions of the National Migration Council, when applicable, with an official Spanish translation.
6. Proof of payment to the Costa Rican government in the amount of one hundred dollars (US $ 100.00) or its equivalent in colones at the exchange rate set by the Central Bank, as provided in article 90 of the Law.
7. In accordance with the new administrative measures established in Resolution DJUR-01-01-2021JM, published in Scope No. 5 of Gazette No. 6 dated January 11, 2021, the requirements for this procedure will be duly regulated in the Immigration Regulations, Executive Decree 37112-GOB, in addition to travel insurance for a period equal to the period requested in the tourism extension. The insurance must cover at least the costs of accommodation and medical expenses that the COVID-19 disease may generate. This insurance may be one of those offered by one of the insurers authorized by the General Superintendency of Insurance in Costa Rica and duly registered with said authority, or travel insurance with international coverage.
Only go to duly authorized personnel to inquire about requirements, appointments, and attention quotas. Page: www.migracion.go.cr
Important: The application may be submitted prior to the expiration of the term granted for the initial stay. Your stay in Costa Rica may not exceed 90 days, in accordance with article 90 of the General Law on Migration and Aliens 8764.